Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The Book of James

$5.00 Bible Verse Print - Strengthen your hearts for the coming of the Lord is near. James 5:8  Now is the time more than ever to stand firm in your faith and not to stray from the path that He has set before us. This bible verse is just what we need to hear when we go through the rough valleys in life. Display this print for all seasons good and bad to help you stand firm in your walk with the Lord. - Different size options available. #bibleverseprint #christianart #strengthenyourhearts:
Reading the book of James is a little like listening to a sermon with multiple points and no outline. Trying to read it directly after reading Paul's very organized epistles is almost frustrating for me. Nevertheless, each point in the book is powerful and there are key lessons to be learned from this very short New Testament epistle. I have chosen one point from each chapter to focus on for this blog post. Doing this was difficult as there are many verses that beg to be shared. Here are the verses I have chosen:

James 1:2-4: "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing."


There is nothing more humbling than being tempted. Sometimes, I feel so guilty after facing temptation, even if I did not give into it. It is interesting to me that Satan will bring a spirit of condemnation, even if I did not give into his ploy. Temptation is a great struggle for Christians. We face it just as every other human. We are forced to make choices between right and wrong. We are forced to decide if we will tell the truth or lie. We are forced to decided if we will love or hate. Being a Christian doesn't take away your choices; it doesn't mean you make the right choice every time.

When I read this verse, it makes me ask myself, "How does temptation teach me patience?" I think there are probably several ways, but the first thing that comes to my mind is that it teaches me patience for myself. Temptation forces me to stop holding myself to perfection that I haven't achieved. I am not saying that I face temptations that I am unable to fight (1 Cor. 10:13). I am saying that temptations teach me to have patience with my spiritual growth and to not expect everything to be perfect because I prayed today.

Another way temptation teaches us patience is by forcing us to put down our lust. You may want that position you are applying for TODAY, and maybe if you lied on your application, you could get it. That's a temptation. When we refuse to obey that lust, we force ourselves to wait for something we want "right now", which is patience. It gives God time to bring about his "perfect work" and to leave us "wanting nothing."

James 2:14-18: "What does it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, "Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled;" notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doeth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, "Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith BY my works."


In chapter 2 we shift gears very rapidly. We go from discussing temptation to discussing faith and works. I love the way the passage above lays it out for us. Sometimes, it helps to just look at an example. When you read the passage above, you can see the ridiculousness of it. "Go! Be warm and filled!" and never give the pour soul a scrap of clothing or food. Remember that the outward expression of your faith in Jesus Christ is found in loving your neighbor as yourself. Would you let yourself go hungry? Would you let yourself be cold?

James 3:17: "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy."


Chapter 3 changes gears again and talks about the tongue. It challenges us to refrain from complaining with the same mouth we use to bless God. It points out the hypocrisy of such actions. Then it finishes with the Scripture above. Do you want heavenly wisdom in your situation? Here's how:
Come to the situation with a pure heart. Give both sides the benefit of the doubt.
Next, be peaceable, gentle, and easily intreated as you handle the situation. Remember, you are not God. You are not "large and in charge." Your lack of self-pride shows Heavenly wisdom.
Finally, be full of mercy and good fruits, don't show partiality, and don't counsel others with hypocrisy. 
If we could remember this Scripture when a friend calls us for advice or to share a juicy piece of gossip, we would be much better off.

James 4:12: "There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?"


I chose this Scripture because it is one of the most over-used Scriptures of the Bible. Almost all groups who are living in sin misuse this Scripture and scream, "Don't judge me!" While I agree that this Scripture is telling us that we are not the ultimate say and that we do not decide who goes to Hell and who goes to Heaven, it must be used in conjunction with Scriptures that teach about certain lifestyles. You can grab this one Scripture and say, "Ha! Only God can judge me!" However, you neglect to notice the rest of the Bible where God states very clearly how He feels about sin. Remember, Hebrews 10:31: "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

James 5:8: "Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh."


Finally, I end with a Scripture that called to me as soon as I read it. I, like so many others, am looking at the world around me with apprehension and concern. I am concerned by this election. I am concerned by the state of many countries around the world. I am concerned about the frequent displays of violence and blatant division in our human race. I know that this means that the coming of the Lord is at hand, and that knowledge both fills me with excitement and dread.

As I study the signs, I must remember the Scripture above. "Stablish your hearts." Remember Who is in control and don't let fear influence your decisions. He is coming. He draweth nigh.

Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment