Friday, December 7, 2018

Miracles Still Happen



2018 didn't start out as a year of miracles. If you had told me on January 23, 2018, that I would be celebrating all of the miracles God has given me this year, I would have laughed at you.

The year started with great loss, great pain, and even greater fear. I am so thankful, though, that despite all of the darkness, a Light called Hope shone brighter than everything else around me.

The tradition of sending Christmas cards has always been one of my favorites. Not many people do it anymore, but the ones that do still get hung around the entrance way of my house. To me, a Christmas card says, "I'm ending this year positive. I have my family and friends. God has been good to me."

To me, it is more than just a simple "Wishing you a Merry Christmas"; it is a reminder that the year has been a blessed one and that there is joy ahead as well.

This year there isn't a picture in our Christmas card. There isn't a long letter telling all of the things that happened over the last 365 days. There isn't a list of achievements or struggles. It's simply signed: "Rick, Ariqua, and Liam" and that says it all.

Christmas has been called the "Season of Miracles" and I agree with that! I think every day is a season of miracles. If you open your eyes and look, there are miracles all around you.

Here are the big ones I am especially thankful for this year:
We still have Mom Gilliss because of a miracle.
Rick has a new job because of a miracle.
Liam grows within me because of a miracle.
All of my sisters (and my mom!!) were at my baby shower because of a miracle.

Then there are other things:
Every morning I wake up. That is a miracle.
I reach out and grab the hand of my husband who has loved me and supported me through thick and thin for more than 5 years. That is a miracle.
I move both our hands to my still-growing stomach, and we feel the kicks of our healthy, developing baby boy inside of me. That is a miracle.
I have the strength to stand up, start my day, go to work, and take care of my home. That is a miracle.

What a blessed year 2018 has been. The same God Who has been faithful and true through the last 365 days will continue to be faithful and true through 2019. We keep our hope in Him because He is the only Light we can hold onto.

Whatever miracles you are celebrating this year, big or small, are important. Take a moment to reflect today and to give God praise for being with you and for His incredible miracles. Then, start 2019 knowing that miracles still happen!

1 comment: